Tuesday, September 29, 2009

TUDO BAM is the word‏

Dear everybody that i love.

Did I ever mention that I love Brazil, Brazillians, and Brazillian Portuguese. The language is amazing and beautiful and intimidating. It is INSANE how fast it is coming. I still get frustrated because I still have a hard time understanding what Brazillians are saying to me and how to respond intelligibly, BUT I get to practice with natives daily and I~m very blessed to be here. I love BRAZIL!
I found my new favorite candy. Paçocas Rolhas. They are like reeses peanutbutter cups minus the chocolate. Delicious. Fattening. Heaven. Also VW buses seem to be the thing here, no wonder its so cool!
I have two instructors: Irmao Ribeiro and Irma De Santana. Ribeiro knows very little English but is really funny. Irma De Santana is a whole bunch of sass ground into a stocky Brazillian lady. She is hilarious and she has to be. The Elders in my district are awesome but often have trouble focusing. They always ask Brazillians to quote nacho Libre. I have to say that Brazillians say: get that corn outta my face! better than nacho does himself. Brazillians seem to do everything better.
Im in class for a minimum of 7 hours m-f and then me and my companion study for at least 2 more hours on language alone. Its a lot. Slowly i think my English is leaving me so sorry if things don~t make sense all the time. I study exclusively the gospel during personal and companion study and then for a little bit during classes. This week I~ve been thinking about families a lot. We~ve had so many Brazillian speakers come to talk to us about gospel topics and often they talk about their conversion stories. Many of the Brazillian missionaries are first generation members. Their testimonies are incredible. The gospel has changed their lives in extreme ways. The people here are so receptive i think, partly because they have their priorities straight. Family is such a huge part of there culture.
Today sister moyle and I didnt get to go to the Temple for our Pday so we went exploring in the area surrounding the CTM. We were looking for this pastel shop that everyone was telling us about. We got lost and had to ask directions. Needless to say, We don~t speak portuguese, but these people love us and are kind and smile at us as we stumble over our broken portuguese. Pastels are delicious huge and fattening as well. They are like huge empanadas.
my companheiro, sister Moyle, is probably one of the best companions anyone could ever ask for she is the perfect example of quiet dignity. She is kind, patient and hilarious. At the CTM we fast from after lunch saturday till lunch Sunday. Saturday night we were talking when out of nowhere sister moyle says: shh! do you hear that? its quiet...we should starve them more often! i laughed so hard i almost peed my pants. The Elders are so loud at night usually so it was nice.
This is an amazing experience. I cannot even begin to communicate to you all what this is like. It doesnt seem real half the time. I feel very priviledged to be serving in the most wondreful country, with the most wonderful people, teaching the thing that makes me the most happy. I love this gospel I love its influence in my life, i wouldn~t be the person i am without it.

Proud to wear the tag,

Sister Peterson

No comments: