Wednesday, August 27, 2008

reflections on a premature thought process.


This semester I'm studying Shakespeare in one of my English classes. Oh how we all love Shakespeare and his beautiful work,how he revolutionized English Literature, his major contribution of... wanna know the only hard evidence he left behind? A certificate of birth and court orders against him for violence and tax evasion. I'm not saying that I agree with the cynics who claim that Shakespeare didn't write what he claimed; i'm actually pondering the question of when you die, what will you leave behind? What will be the hard evidence against (or for) your cause?

For Shakespeare, the records he left behind do not paint a picture of the romantic, brilliant, intelligent man we get from his plays. He seems more like an arrogant rich kid without direction. So far the only records I have to my name are a birth certificate, a high school diploma, and a speeding ticket. Due to modern technology and what not there could be more information if someone were to look for it. I guess that's awfully presumptuous to believe that one day someone will actually think enough about me to study my life. Perhaps I will do great things and be a great mom, friend, sister, or even just person. However, it seems like quite an easy thing for people to fall into the category of "sucking at life" and i hope that i won't fail myself and the people who look to me for support. So in short I guess you must ask yourself:

"To be or not to be?"

No comments: