Monday, January 11, 2010

Alagada-flood‏

We have all heard the saying, When it rains it pours. Although cliche and usually a metaphor, this is very literally true for Maceió. Coincidentally when it rains and pours here in Bebedouro, it also rains and pours in our apartment. i will try to send photos, it is pretty hilarious. When it rains we have a waterfall coming from our wash area and it flows down into our bedroom. Happy New Year was accompanied with about 2 inches of water spouting from the washroom ceiling and an old light switch. safe, not so sure, but i do know that using rags to soak up water takes about an hour and a half. This flood happened three times in the last week. awesome.


This week a combination of the new year flooded apartment and Sister Murbaki being sick made it really difficult to work. Yesterday, after cleaning up a flood after lunch, I had a really hard time having the desire to work. We were walking down the street and the last thing i wanted to do was work. I was exhausted, but i felt ashamed that i was feeling so lazy that i didnt want to do the work that i came over 5000 miles to do. I said a prayer asking for the drive or something to push me. Heavenly Father didnt hesitate.

We entered a small house of Maria and Luiz. Maria is pregnant and they have 4 other beautiful children. They are probably one of the cutest and most loving couples ive seen. We taught them the first lesson and it was amazing. They were totally receptive. Theyve been looking for a church but havent been satisfied. They accepted the invitation to pray and prepare for baptism after they receive a response. Now i dont know if they are going to accept this message. i dont know what Heavenly Father has planned, but in that moment Heavenly Father reminded me why i am here. He was blunt and I was humbled and the drive was there. I am here to help families become eternal families. I am here to strengthen people, to give them an opportunity to better their lives, their families, themselves. I saw it in the faces of these two parents and it was more than what i felt worthy to ask for.


I know God loves us. He has a plan and I am one of the priviledged few in this world who has the opportunity to have this knowledge and to share it. The more i study the more i thirst to share what i study. It is amazing the capacity our mind has when you factor in faith and the Spirit. I am learning so much about following the Spirit. He is a real driving force and I feel very blessed to be able to have the companionship of the Holy Ghost in my life. Amazing.

A few funny things. Here it is perfectly acceptable to call or refer to other people as fat. For example, a lot of Brasilleiros refer to my district leader as the gordão elder (gordo is fat, add ão and you have really fat). It still makes me laugh when people talk about it. Earlier this week when i was joking around with Sister Murbaki, she decided to let slip a few English words she has been holding back for the past 8 weeks. In clear English she said, You er mama. I almost peed my pants it was so funny.


Today we had a zone activity and one of my elders from the CTM presented me with a peanutbutter filled sweet of some sort. I havent had peanutbutter for almost 3 months, and let me tell you i dont know if it was a good thing or a bad thing. Man imiss peanut butter!


well i love you all and i miss you!

proud to wear the tag,

Sister JP Peterson



No comments: