Friday, May 13, 2011

life as I know it

Exactly one month since I set foot on my home soil. Why don't I feel like that is a true statement? That is rhetorical and you don't need to answer it.

So let me update those one or two people who actually read my blog/family posts.
I ended my missionary service March 22nd 2011. My mama, my brothers and my sister in law came to pick me up. Amazing opportunity to share a little bit of my experience with them. There was a miracle, ISABELLE. At the beginning of the transfer in Benedito we taught her but after a little couldnt get in touch. Well after we hadnt talked to her for a few weeks she told her member friends that she wished she would have been baptized on the date we had marked for her and that she truly had a desire to be baptized. Amazing. So we baptized her SUnday. Mama and Jerry got to see it. Jerry sang with me in the baptism. It was an amazing experience.

I was so happy to bring my family to meet my brasilian family. We visited a few other sites, but the best part of brasil is the northeast for this little galega.

So I am here in the states. It is different. And I miss Brasil. I miss those people that I love. It just feels like I've been on vacation or something... I do get sad when I think that I can't go back soon. Some days are better than others. But my mission changed my life it changed me. I am so incredibly grateful for that experience. IT WAS ESSENTIAL for my life, I am sure of it.

Vamos focus on the positive:
-I value much more my family members. I am absolutely in love with my neices and nephews. What a bummer they live so far away now...

-I started school at BYU this week...I still cant bring myself to say that I am a BYU student.
--Dear family, I have a confession. I tried, really I did...but I just cant bring myself to hate BYU.
--my classes for the spring term (its short) are Microbiology and The Book of Mormon.
I am a total nerd. I am LOVING microbiology. 




-I am in love with the gospel more than ever before. I find myself talking about it in almost every setting possible. It is just something that moves me. Before it was a very strong belief. Now it is more of a fact a certainty. The gospel is written in my heart. It is more a part of my identity than just a part of my life. I am in love with it. Now I just need to be in love with someone who is just as in love with the gospel as I am.

Today in Relief Society we talked about service and a thought came to mind. When we serve other people we start to gain understanding and that understanding leads us to love. Understanding of the people we are serving comes as we strive to understand their perspective and their personal needs in order to serve them according to their needs. We develop compassion. We develop patience. And through this we come to understand God better. We are striving to be like him, therefore we have more contact with him. And then we understand just a tiny bit better the type of love that he has for those people we are serving. The type of love he has for us and for all of his children. And then we grow stronger in our faith and knowledge because we can FEEL the difference in our lives as we draw closer to him. Service is essential for our progression.

If you have any other ideas about it let me know.

Well folks I love you!

Proud to have worn the tag,
JP Peterson

No comments: