Wednesday, October 21, 2009

eu amo brasil‏



I made my first big mistake with the language this week. I was eating lunch and talking to three Brazillian sisters. I asked one of them if she had a boyfriend at home, after she told me about her hunk, i turned to the other two and said, pointing from one to the other, Voces namarados? needless to say they shook there head and had big eyes then laughed. I essentially asked if they were dating eachother not if they had boyfriends.They thought it was funny and just laughed at me.

Today I was able to go to the temple. Sao Paulo Temple is probably my favorite temple ever. On the way there and back i rode in a van. Sis Moyle and I rode in the front next to the driver. I talked to him about a lot of different things mostly how terrified i am to drive on these roads, the driveres are crazy and the motorcyclists insane. he was, like most of the people here, so patient and willing to fill in the blanks of Portuguese I lack. He isn~t a member and i asked him if he had a Book of Mormon. He does, but he is catholic but the thing is it wasn~t awkward talking to him about the gospel. It was such a sweet experience!

Last Pday my district met with our old Teacher Irmã de Santana and had pastels. Afterward she came with sister moyle and me to get some lotion. All of a sudden one of the workers came up to me and started putting all of this lotion on my arm and asking, voce gosta? and then speaking portuguese really fast. I was laughing so hard and I didn~t know how to tell her that I didn~t want anymore lotion. After laughing at me for awhile, irmã de santana told the lady that i found what i was looking for. It was funny because i didn~t know how to tell her to stop and she just kept going on trying to help me. I walked out of the shop smelling like a rainbow popsicle.
Elder Richard G Scott is coming to the CTM friday, i~m way excited. We are also supposed to proselyte in São Paulo Friday but i don~t know if that will be postponed. I~m excited but scared, i~m not as confident in my language abilities as i~d like to be.
This week I have learned that Heavenly Father really hears and answers our prayers. He even hears and answers prayers given in broken, hardly intelligible Portuguese. This communication that we can have with God is amazing and it is crazy to think that most of the world isnt fully aware of this power.
A few weeks ago one other sister going to Maceio, Sister Porath, left the CTM for the mission field. Sister Moyle and I got a letter from her telling us about Maceio. Apparently she is the only American sister there right now. I only know of one other Brazillian sister missionary that has left for there recently. The letter got me so excited to go out into the mission field, i just have to speak the lingua first.
I started my sixth week yesterday, meaning i have a little less than 4 weeks before i have a brazillian companion and will need to speak Portuguese fluently. NeedlesAll i~m saying is if you remember, i~d appreciate your prayers!
I love what I~m doing. I love what Im learning. God is blessing me with knowledge and many humbling experiences, i~m pushing myself harder than i thought i could and i know that what i lack is being made up. I love you all so much.
Proud to wear the tag,
Sister Peterson
PS Happy Birthday Tomorrow Grandma! and Lindsey I totally got your letter yesterday I~m sending a letter today! my mom should have one for you at her house already.

No comments: