Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Arapiraca is hotter here. Sent 3/31/2010

Yo.
My first week in Arapiraca, the first few days were cloudy and rainy and perfect. Friday i experienced the fact that even though i didnt think it was possible, this place is even hotter than maceio. maceio at least has the ocean breeze. here...no. BUT everything is plane. i discovered that i said tchau to the steep mountains of hills in Bebedouro, now im struggleing to remember street names and directions, pray for me this has never been my strength. I am learning that the street plan in utah is BRILLIANT.
So this week we are working with a family Jane and Saulo and their terror of a two year old Pedro. He probably is the cutest little boy in the world...unless you bring him to church. Elders worked with them awhile back. They really like the church but arent married. We have been teaching them and preparing them for baptism. Friday night Saulo said, I want to be baptized but i cant promise i will be at church every sunday. When we asked why he said because he practices Capuera (a form of really rad karate but is dancing too) every sunday. We talked to him about priorities. I asked him a question. After this life we know that we have God for sure, but will you have capuera? He said he would think about it. As always we prayed and the next day we went to their house and he looked at us and said, Sisters i have been thinking. I will not practice capuera sunday only during the week so i can go to church! It was amazing. We never had a lot of success with this in my last area. Generally people dont want to give up what they love to be baptized and receive the blessings of the gospel, but this was amazing. we are helping them prepare for baptism and marriage this transfer! i know from sure experience that when we are obedient Heavenly Father fulfills his part. I know this family will receive these blessings.
Last night we had family home evening in a members house and an Elder gave the lesson on the tender mercies of the Lord (see 1 Nephi 1: 20). Tender mercies are little reminders from Heavenly Father of His love and of His plan. Assurances or the gospels truthfullness and the fact that if we do our part He does His. Like wehn i arrived, didnt understand hardly anything, couldnt teach, couldnt talk, and was literally paralyzed by fear, I experienced Tender Mercies through the smiles of beautfiul brasilliero babies. When i feel tired and lack motivation, i see a family or make a contact that rejuvinates me. Its that extra charge Heavenly Father gives us when we are running empty. When we are scared when we have doubts, when we lack confidence, when we are experiencing these human emotions that often overcome the average soul, He is ready and willing to help us. But we have to look for them. I am so grateful for the Tender Mercies I experience so very often in this world thousands of miles away from everything I have known and understood. Look for them in your life. Maybe for some you need a reminder that God is there and listening. I know He is there. I know He is literally "waiting by the phone" to pick up listen and give you counsel. Be humble enough to call.
I cant explain the love that i feel for you all. I cant see it. But i have it and I hope and pray that you have all experienced it. I cant begin to describe the love God has for us, but i think my mind is starting to understand a little more each day about it. He loves you and Knows you.
As always, Proud to wear this tag,
Sister J Peterson

No comments: