Tuesday, April 6, 2010

ARAPIRACA sent 3/26/2010

Dear family ,
Yesterday i boarded a bus all by myself and headed for the Interior of Alagaos. My new area is ARAPIRACA. It is huge a lot bigger than Bebedouro and from what i have seen much different. I have two new companheiras, yes a trio, Sister Cataca from north brazil where it is so hot you would probably die and and a fellow AGGIE like me sister Porath!
I didnt expect to be put with an americana because we dont have many but the Lord spoke and here i am. I am really excited. Most of all, my house is SOOOMUCH NICER than in Bebedouro. The people are a little bit more wealthy here so its going to be a lot different.
So this week all i can say is that prayers have been answered. Things i have been praying for for the last year or longer in my life are starting to happen. I am seeing how patience and obedience work and how Heavenly Father will always keep his end of the deal if we do our part. On top of that i have been receiving a lot of personal revelation pertaining to my life and to the work here. I am learning how to follow the spirit better. It seems like that is such a simple idea, but maybe i am a little more hard headed because it is finally starting to sink in.
Both sister Murbaki and I were transferred from Bebedouro to different areas. The last few days of the transfer we were able to wokr more. We have left some golden people for the new sisters to teach and baptize and i am satisfied with my work there. I can honestly say that the last five months of my life there in that city were probably some of the hardest and most challenging for this little missionary. Tears lots of sweat and lots of prayers are my memories there, but i learned how to love and be patient with people so different. How to live and let live i guess. i love bebedouro and wouldnt mind going back closer to the end of my mission.
Yesterday in the taxi i was talking to the taxista. He asked me a question and i cant even relate to you the joy and pride i felt in my response. He asked me if i like what i do. i looked at him and said. yes i love it. I am the type of person that really wants to make the world a better place and i know that this cause is the thing that can and will change the world. We talked more about God and he explained that in his past experiences with religion he always felt an empty space.like something was missing but that he is trying hard not to feel that way. that he keeps trying to push it away. This was the perfect opportunity to talk about the gospel. I told him about prophets and that God still calls them. I explained the differences and invited him to check it out for himself. I felt peace and confidence. I felt that my words were sufficient. Itrully believe that this young taxista will check it out. he is searching, and God is bringing to him what he is looking for. Man i love being a missionary.
On the bus i made goals for this transfer. One person once told me to ask yourself a few questions when making goals. What do i want to happen? What do i want to do to make it happen? and most importantly what am i WILLING to sacrifice? that is what this life is about. Work and Sacrifice. Through that we find happiness. Christ spent his entire life working to heal the hearts of so many. He was WILLING to sacrifice and for this i am so grateful. That I have the atonement of Christ to help me progress. It makes more and more sense everyday. I love it. While on the bus i read the Liahona. I read things that I am pretty sure Heavenly Father slipped in just for me to view in that moment. I felt such an overwhelming sense of peace sense of identity and confidence. Real true deep happiness. If i could give each of you a piece of this happiness i would because it is amazing. maybe you dont believe me but seriously i dont know if anyone has ever felt so happy sitting in a bus alone reading a magazine all about Christ and His gospel. I must admit it was a little strange being alone for so long, but it was peaceful.
Family i love you. My challenge this week for you all is to look at your blessings that you have received in the past year. Prosperity, happiness, help, anything really and kneel and give thanks to the Being who created you, God, Heavenly Father, NOSSO PAI CELESTIAL and then make goals to better the world because of those blessings.
I know God lives and that His love is real.
Proud as ever to wear this tag,

SISTER JP PETERSON

No comments: