Tuesday, July 6, 2010

São Pedro‏

so apparently there are three holidays that have the campfires: São João, São Pedro, and Santo Antonio. And also Brazil continues to win so those things=staying at home and my hair STILL smells like smoke.


So i emailed a few days ago but my life is like a rollercoaster/energizer bunny keeps going and is crazy.

Sunday I was feeling a little down. I felt like I had been working a ton the last week but Sunday morning our family (Marta and Ailton) didnt go to church. My heart was broken. We didnt have any progressing investigators. Well Bishop found a less active member who had moved and she said, "Oh Bispo my daughter needs to be baptized." We went there and found Diana. A 9 year old girl. Truly a choice spirit of our Heavenly Father. When we were teaching she told us that her greatest wish was to go to church but her mom wouldnt take her. She loves learning about God and is so excited to be baptized. When we do our part God does the rest. I love this work.

Before we found out about Diana we were walking around forever trying to find houses and it just wasnt happening. I hate days like that when it is walk walk walk and not teaching. I was getting so frustrated. I didnt want to do anything let alone contact people on the street but i got to the point that i realized i needed to force myself to make contacts. I found Cleilde. She is so rad. She really wants to go to church and LOVES us. Her daughter that is 15 was already some sort of nun for the catholic church, speaks english, and now plays guitar in a band. How rad, an ex-nun rocker. We are in the process of teaching them.

We also contacted Santana. He is a middleaged man who is so willing to learn. He says the word PUXA a lot and it makes me laugh. The first night we planned to visit him it was raining like crazy so we couldnt get out there. He waited all night for us. They have a telephone booth thing in front of his neighbors house and we said we would call. He was sleeping when we called but when he found out, he stayed by the phone booth for a long time. He has a baptismal date.

I have always loved working with youth. Right now we are reactivating a lot of families, they all start with youth. I dont know what it is about my personality that makes it so youth like me but it is pretty great to be able to use this gift God has given me.

Last night as we were walking home, i just felt happy. That inner sense of peace that people spend a lot of money on books and programs to find. I cant tell you that the mission is easy. In fact it is still very challenging, but i know that i am progressing. I look at the little girl i was 9 months ago, so insecure about the smallest things. Well like everyone else in the world i still have insecurities but it is easier to face them. Forcing myself to push past it all. I have learned so much about human nature. I can almost tell right away when someone is lying to me based on their body language. or when someone isnt interested. I have never been lied to so much in my life. One quote that i love says that everyone has three things: A greatest fear, a greatest insecurity, and someone that loves them. I see that a lot. A quote from Henry B Eyring is: When you meet someone regard them as someone who is in big trouble. Most of the time you will be right." i see that a lot too.

Well i love my life. i love my comp. I love God. He loves us. I cant imagine life without that knowledge that surety that God lives and He loves us.

Proud to wear the tag,
 
Sister Peterson

No comments: