Saturday, October 9, 2010

im almost trilingual.‏

Hey family,
This week not a lot happened. Just work as usual. I am starting to feel the pull of six months in one area, or maybe it is one year on the mission. But it has been a big blessing with all these amazing experiences i am having here with amazing people. Sergipe will always be a huge part of my heart.
This week we were preparing to baptize Josue. He is the teenager who we have been teaching, he received a very strong and personal testimony when he prayed a few weeks back. His mom tried talking him out of his baptism a lot she thinks it is too soon etc. He said "i thought about desisting a lot, but everytime I thought about not being baptized I felt a horrible feeling." Basically we are watching him as he learns how to identify the spirit. It is simple but amazing.
Also, we baptized a man this week. The thought came "this is Heavenly Father's child" as he was baptized. I feel so blessed to have taught him and to help him through this change in his life. The baptism was great.
I read in Helaman 5 this week. WOW! it is a story that we have hear, Nephi and his bro lehi literally tire of the wickedness of the people so they go out to teach. They are thrown in prison, starve and are mistreated. When the Lamanites go to kill them, Nephi and lehi are encircled by a pillar of fire a thick cloud. I was reading how 1 Heavenly Father loves His children so much that He will give them every chance to have a real converting experience (read about Aminadabe -dont know in english v.35-42-a dissenter of the Nephites who had once belonged to the church. Watch how God uses this man that had rebelled against the truth to have a chance to remember repent and to help others) 2 how a testimony is not a result of miracles. First we learn a concept and we must exercise faith, then after our faith comes the consequences, one of which is the Spirit testifying., miracles are a consequence of faith.
I have seen that in my work here. i have felt Heavenly Father helping me and directing me. encouraging me and reminding me. WHEN i follow what is said I see miracles.
yesterday we ate lunch with a less active family. I started talking to the husband, one of the hardest workers ive met (literally when housebuilders wouldnt allow him to work in construction because he lacked experience, he went everyday to a different site to watch and learn from different companies. and then after he built his own house) I came to understand why he hasnt been going to church. As in most situations, he was offended, but when i asked him if he was preparing to go to the temple he said, bishop is always telling me i need to prepare. The thought entered in mymind and i voiced it, "do you know why you need to go?" he said no, that everyone just said ya have to go and wont tell him anything about it. We taught parts of the plan of salvation. I am convinced that in most situations like this there is a common lack of understanding. The theme of my mission, "true doctrine UNDERSTOOD changes behavior." fim.
Klisleide will be baptized this week.

So i had bishop bring copies of the BOM in Spanish and german. i understand everything in Spanish!!!! WHOO! but almost nothing in German. I love studying languages with the Book of Mormon.
proud to wear the tag,

sister peterson

No comments: